Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Du-bai or not Dubai

First of all, I would like to apologize to my loyal readers..(hahahahah, sounds so pompous) for this literary lag I have been suffering. Life has kept me occupied with its hectic schedule and before I knew it 10 days had passed, and I've written nothing.

I'm now in Dubai attending a course. The course is great, lots of new information and no mentally-challenged mandatory exercises like my previous experiences, but the minute you have to leave the hotel, you regret not having bought your own helicopter when you had the chance...

All the taxi drivers in Dubai are drama queens. You ask them to take you somewhere two blocks away, and as you're casually sitting in the back seat, you decide to make friendly chit chat..."How long will it take to get to Sh. Zayed Road?" Rather than the usual.."Oh just a few minutes more"...You get this response.."Oooooh...Too Much Trrraffffic! Very Bad! Very Bad! Maybe ONE HOUR!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah let me out! I can't sit in a car for one hour, and not cross a stateline, country border or a time zone. You have to realize, he's talking about a destination which I can see from the window. I sat the remainder of the trip in distress, feeling very very claustrophobic.

I learned after a while, that they exaggerate, because we arrived in 15 minutes. But that was after he stressed me out, appointments were postponed and half my hair fell out, . They make it such a big deal, I'm almost wondering if this isn't propaganda to keep people indoors.

With so much more to share, I have to leave it for another time. I fear that if I don't go to bed right now, I will be getting an involuntary banana and oats facial in my mueseli tomorrow morning...

Bon Nuit (Wish I was in Paris)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patiently awaiting a new post...

Basma Mattar said...

So wat is it exactly that's so wonderful about Dubai? Wat is it that we just can't c!???

Anonymous said...

Here's a wonderfularticle by the Marxist scholar Mike Davis on Dubai.

Unknown said...

Hey kiddo . . . I just stumbled onto your blog and am in the process of devouring every last word. Love your style, wit, and no-nonsense take on the inane issues that surround you. I can actually see your face as you type away... I guess some things never change.

Say hi to the hubby and hope to see you both on my next trip to bahrain.

F. Mattar said...

Hi Noura, that article scares me, because that's what I felt being there. I love Bahrain.

Bashar! Hello! Thank you, it's so much fun, when you guys give me feedback. How nice to find you here...lets c u when you're back.