Friday, November 17, 2006

Chorus; the song of life

Have you ever attended a course and wondered what the hell you were doing there? Whether it’s a seminar, a training session, or some random healing group, which claims to solve all your life problems by teaching you how to breathe, I’m sure everyone has found themselves in an unplanned environment, during which they frequently wished they could die.

I remember when I was in Eighth Grade we had a required Chorus class, yes it’s as retarded as it sounds. While all the boys were doing fun things in Tech Ed. building shelves and hot air balloons, we were stuck in a class room a kilometer away singing “Mee May Maah Moe Moo”. Yes. Moo. Can you imagine the indignity???! This exercise was supposed to make your vocal chords flexible. Well someone should tell them that…I DON’T PLAN ON ENTERING THROAT GYMNASTICS AT THE OLYMPICS!!! But there we were, with our wig-clad teacher who was sickly excited about the prospect of singing the above mooing in every bloody note on the piano.

AAAAAH!

It was only about 55 minutes of suffering but it would almost drive me to tears, every single time. When Mr. Winward fell unexpectedly off his piano bench knocking his toupee out of place, I felt guiltily responsible, although everyone could see, I was a clear 5 meters away from him, and hadn’t tampered with the screws.

Since then, I’ve been surprised, that life often throws you into Mee-May-Maah-Moe Moo-moments. One minute you’re happy and free, the next you’re stuck somewhere, and although not physically restrained from leaving, you stay the entire torturous time, silently suffering and resenting the fact that you were taught not to scream in public.

A while back I was signed up for a day long seminar about trade or export or something equally exciting like that. It was in the middle of a week, where I was close to ripping my hair out from all the impossible tasks on my plate, and yet I went anyway to broaden my horizons. On the way there, the insane traffic helped broaden my creativity in skills such as swearing and wishing evil thoughts towards my fellow commuters.

I thought that overcoming this obstacle was a big achievement, but after I arrived at the venue, and was handed a folder and the agenda for the day, I found that there was an even bigger achievement ahead of me; to make it through the day without crying.

It turned out that the seminar was suddenly something completely different. And the inept organizer had switched it to technology, and how it could make my life smoother and easier, if I was an entrepreneur. Okaaaay. But I’m not. I wish I was, because then I wouldn’t have sent myself here. I’d be in my delightful Ikea-furnished home office drinking coffee and listening to blaring music while I worked happily on my laptop, making millions. Fantasies are great, they defy logic.

Anyway, in eight grueling hours of mundane discourse, we praised the wonders of Excel, MS Project, and learned that putting together a database of contacts in your own handwriting on random pieces of paper is not an efficient business practice..HELLOOO! No Shit! Is it still 1989?

And to add insult to injury, we had to do really annoying exercises where you pretend to introduce yourself to an “American”, by keeping it “short and sweet”. They made it sound like we were acquainting ourselves with outer space beings with ADHD. I was less than enthusiastic. In fact, I used a very clever tactic to avoid being passed the microphone. I stared at my paper with such intense concentration, I almost went cross-eyed. Experience has taught me that if you avoid eye-contact, people tend to skip over you. It almost worked until my neighbor, whose method didn’t work, passed it over to me out of spite, while I was still staring profusely at my desk. My less than subtle hand signals and silent mouthing of “Get that thing away from me!” were unfortunately noticed by the instructor up front. “What’s going on back there?”

I suddenly looked up at her and gave her that sick sweet smile, you use when you’ve been caught being yourself in a public place. I wanted to disappear, but instead I just mumbled, “I’d rather not.” Grin…

My thankfully sharp partner and I finished the last exercise of the day on the computer, in 10 minutes, while others were still typing with one finger and looking for the Enter button on their keyboards. At some point we were asked to mix with others who had difficulty with technology, but we politely declined with a smile.

That might’ve been considered rude and uncooperative, but the mood I was in by then, I couldn’t have managed to kindly guide anyone through the basics of keyboarding, or teach them how to enter data into a table. I would’ve simply smacked them with the mouse and walked out.

Anyway, the moral of the story is…I’m not sure there is one. I think the next time you find yourself in a useless predicament, leave. Go back to doing what you’re supposed to be doing, because life is short and one shouldn’t spend it visualizing themselves knocking their head senseless into their desk, like I did. I leave you with my final words of wisdom: Never Mee May Maah Moe Moo, for anyone, it’s just not worth it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

heya.. ok... i'm hooked to your blog!! i need mooooore!..therefore i suggest an sms service in which you notify people like me the minute you've posted anything! I love your style keep at it! am awaitting the release of a novel!

Anonymous said...

or even better... for people that are hooked like me..start smsing us little stories early in the morning to get us through the day! A.K.

Anonymous said...

.... always check what you write before pressing 'Login and Publish'!

amal said...

last time i was in a similar situation (the annoying safety thing, remember?), i almost died. i just left, couldn't take any more..
nothing's worth one's mee may maah moe moo..

Anonymous said...

Yeah sms sounds great, great, great!!!!! I am so excited at the idea so please don't hurt my feelings and tell me that you will consider such a service for some MATTAR lovers (pun intended ;) )

Anonymous said...

Mr. Winward and Miss Coon, holy crap I just woke up and its 743 now... not memories I wanted back! - Mr Ivers? Remember when Mrs. Ivers put a sign on the library saying No Arabs during Lunch (That was fun). You know Farah JooJ is right, Your perspective on Bahrain School ... thats a good one.

Anonymous said...

Farah-Thank God I didn't have to take Chorus..What a horrible requirement! AK The sms idea is great. Wake up to an inspirational greeting/ sarcastic comment by farah to jump start your day!
BTW-Mr Winward finally married Ms. Coon, but he died last year of cancer.

F. Mattar said...

Now I feel bad...

I don't remember Mrs. Ivers Racist sign, but I did have a face off with her once...it involved some far removed story with Mr. Albrecht and alleged Whirling Dervishes conspiracy theory, I will elaborate at a later time.

Unknown said...

Farooh... I fell off my chair when I read your chorus posts. Where the hell did you dredge up all those random memories?

I have to point out though that us guys were subjected to the horrors of Winward's Chorus class just like you were. Do you remember...

1. Focus and concentrate
2. Develop a positive attitude

The rest escape me... I must have repressed those memories deep down in my psyche. I think Mee May Maa Mo MOOO is scarred into all of us that took chorus. Maybe we could start a support group of some kind . .

I agree with Jooj about the wacky bahrain school teachers blog. I for one would be very happy to contribute. Do you remember the name of our horrible 9th grade Physical Science Teacher? I still wake up with cold sweats at night when I think of her! As for the Ivers... I'm not sure which one was worse. Crater face, or his monkey ass wife. Who the hell certifies these donkeys to teach anyway?

F. Mattar said...

"I will not put up with your shennanigans!"

-Ms. Finch (strange physical science teacher) 1992

"What the hell is a shenannigan. Is it like a leprechaun?"

-Confused student in physical science class 1992