Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Aftermath

The loveliest thing in the world is to sit on your sofa, after a terrible, long, stressful week, wearing your favorite soft cotton pajamas with the sweetest dog in the world stretched out on your lap resting her cute little fluffy, whiskery chin on your knee. (that is assuming the sight of a dog, doesn’t send you screaming and leaping onto the nearest coffee table.)

Such is my heaven, but as no heaven is perfect, I have to disclose that Whisker just leapt off of my lap, and went to curl up doughnut-style next to Nayef. I’m so jealous but I have to hide it and pretend to actually be mature. So I’m just sitting here calmly typing away, as if it’s not eating at me as I will her with my eyes to “come back to Momma’s lap now...”

To commemorate the end of my nightmarish week of working like a slave monkey on speed, we decided to celebrate with a mock slumber party. I decided that we would sleep in the TV room, like when we were kids, each on his/her respective sofa eating different flavors of Doritos and watching marathons of favorite movies all night long. But while we both jumped with glee at the genius idea, we apparently had very different ideas of “favorite movies”.

“Let’s watch something, funny and romantic and cute.” I suggested naively, thinking of When Harry met Sally.

“Oh, I wanted to watch something with a little bit more killing, beating up and fighting.” He said hopping around, illustrating his fantasy fight scene, “Godfather?”

Oh good God, how many times am I going to subject myself to a movie that I loved the first time, but had to watch 6 or 7 times, as my husband secretly wished he was in the Mafia and then laughed at me when I cried at the sad scenes. Zero sensitivity. Zero.

Too tired to argue, or get up off the sofa to find a better choice, we are now watching something called “Payback” starring the devilishly handsome yet increasingly violent Mel Gibson. I am trying really hard not to throw up, during the gruesome scenes and finding it hard not to eat my hand, while someone pulls someone’s piercing out of his nose…

Damn it, I’m going to wait this movie through with the help of God, and then we’re watching something light and airy like CareBears: The movie, or else this whole slumber party is going to get cancelled and I’m sending everyone (nayef) home!

Meanwhile, I’m going to enjoy the lime flavored Doritos, which are oddly refreshing like a tiny glass of lemonade compressed into each corn chip, especially when sipping club soda in between crunches.

I love Formula One…the day after it ends.

5 comments:

amal said...

Congrats on the end of F1 bahrain this year.. You gota tell us about the crazy things you must have seen..!

Welcome back, MattEr.. Don't disappear again!

Anonymous said...

When I told my brother today that I am going to the cienma to watch Mr Bean's Holiday he had that kind of smile on his face and said it's a kids movie :(

I don't know if this is gender-related differences, but I noticed girls like romantic, comedy or even thriller movies but guys will always go for action, horror type of movies. They adore chasing, fighting and horror scenes and they will open their eyes widely and forget about the world around while watching and you start thinking: Whats wrong with guys?Why they are so violent?

Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

I would've chosen 5th Element myself... it's got something for everyone.

I have no idea why everyone runs away screaming NOT AGAIN every time I suggest this family movie.

Well done the F1!

Anonymous said...

1) Don Michael Corleone RuLzzzzzzzzzzzz ( the godfather is the best movie ever )

2) the other day i watched SERENDIPITY its a nice movie watch it

3) LET MY FRIEND CHOOSE WAT EVER HE WANTS EVEN IF HE WANTS TO WATCH (MADRISAT AL-MOSHAGHABEEN)....

F. Mattar said...

I swear I do, Fawaz. We are watching Il Safara Fil 3imara, (his choice)right now...(Actually it is a bit funny)